Friday, March 19, 2010

Mid-War Athens (Sofia Vembo & Imam Baildi, 1939 & 2007)

imam baildi

thens has not always been a stressful ugly capital of 5 million scarily stolid people. There were nice times that the city had been a truly beautiful and peaceful city. Seriously. It's hard for me to believe too, but it's true. Just take a look to some before-after pictures (everybody likes before-after pictures..):

Omonoia Sqr.(1920s?)

Omonoia Sqr. (2007)

Lycabettus picture from Acropolis, then
Lycabettus picture from Acropolis, now

Ok, back to the dark reality. All these nice buildings were torn down, all tram-lines were removed in order to sell our allies cars to buy their protection and there we are stuck in the traffic in an ugly city. Take it or leave it, you might say.
Only thing's left from that period is music. A romantic urban music strangely influenced from our European friends, since Greece never experienced a serious urbanization or industrialization since that time. Anyway, the combination was nice, it worked, people liked it, musicians too (not the rembetiko ones of course - but we are anyway talking about a totally different class) and beautiful songs were written for love, wine, and having fun.

The song

Today, two versions of the same song are presented: 1. The original one written by Giannides, Spyropoulos & Papadoukas in 1939 and performed by the great Sofia Vembo. 2. A remake of the modern Greek band Imam Baildi.
I am sure the pics and the songs will give you a really good example of how the city has changed. Still lyrical, but mostly in a nostalgic tone and the decades added a rhythm too. You can dance with it's sterilized beat, or dream with its melody parts. It's your call.


How Sorry I am (Original Version)
music: K. Giannakides
lyrics: Vasilis Spyropoulos
Remake: Imam Baildi


I have met so many loves, and I loved and I broke up
but wherever I was, It was you I was looking for
In all my thousands of dreams, my lips were looking for yours
and my soul as well as my secret passions

How sorry I am, for all there years that we lost
before I meet you, the one I have waited so long.
and how afraid I am that one day I might lose you
because I would never forget you...

Stand by me, my sweetest love
I still want to tell you...

How sorry I am, for all there years that we lost
before I meet you, the one I have waited so long.
and how afraid I am that one day I might lose you
because I would never forget you...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails